Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Once Upon a Time debut's Mulan's armor

Thanks to a stomach virus followed by wisdom teeth removal, I wasn't exactly on the ball when these pictures hit the internet the other week. However. I was definitely drooling.


ABC's hit show "Once Upon a Time" returns soon and will be debuting Chinese heroine "Mulan" as played by Jamie Chung. I was hardly expecting pictures so soon, but ABC knows how to advertise and what could get us more excited then this awesome look at Mulan's armor?


I don't know enough about Chinese historical military wear to comment authoritatively on this ensemble. However, as an artist and a costumer, I can say that from an aesthetic perspective, it's perfect. It certainly looks oriental, with gorgeous detail that will have cosplayers weeping with frustration as they try to copy it. It features quilted leather, which was an authentic and very practical medieval protective garment, and has a hint of femininity while at the same time concealing Mulan's true gender entirely.

I loved most of last season's costumes, but if the detail here is any indicator, this season's offerings are going to be even more intense and breathtaking. Who else is beyond excited?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am! I love OuaT, and I can't wait for the second season. Spoilers say that the second season will be more about Emma's love life than the curse.

Anonymous said...

Hey Elena(can I call you Elena?), I see that you have a passion for movie and TV show costumes, especially ones with lots of detail and embellishments. May I recommend a movie/musical? If you're interested, you can check out Andrew Lloyd Webber's Phantom of the Opera. It has awesome clothes, especially for the heroine. Here's a link you can check out if you want, it's on the heroine's costumes with modern substitutes:http://gilded-butterfly.lovelyish.com/?uni58633169-direction=n&uni58633169-nextdate=7%2F24%2F2010+23%3A12%3A53.983. It's a bit of a spoiler, so I'd say after you've seen it or if you don't have time.

Elizabeth Amy Hajek said...

I love The Phantom of the Opera! The movie is gorgeous, but the costumes for the stage production (which I was able to see in London) were even better! Hmmm, maybe that should be my next "The Costumes of..." project?

Thank you for sharing the link! (And yes, everyone calls me Elena, so that's fine!)

Anonymous said...

I agree! The movie is fabulous. I think it would be lovely if you did a costume/fashion critiquing on it! Did you check out the link I sent you? It's fine if you don't want to, but I just thought it might be inspirational.