Monday, October 10, 2016

OUAT's "The Other Shoe" and other new costumes too!

OUAT was off to a disappointing start, with a fairly boring premiere and no new costumes. However, it picked up steam this week with great dialogue, intriguing mysteries, and a plenthora of gorgeous pieces.

SPOILERS AHOY! (click read more to continue)

Thursday, October 6, 2016

Seamstress Confessions hits One MILLION Pageviews

Wow. This is the stats counter from my blogger dashboard. And WOW. That is ONE MILLION page views, folks!

It's been just over five years since I started this blog as a way to chronicle my adventures as a fashion design student at NDSU. Ill health quickly changed that adventure into one of costume analysis. For awhile I was overwhelmed with costume commissions, then had to put that business on indefinite hold after I developed Fibromyalgia.

I continue to brainstorm the future of this blog. I have a plan for a book, and I want to release some patterns and learning courses at some point in the future. In the meantime, I'll continue to chronicle my journey as a seamstress, and share my love of costuming with you all.

Thank you!

Milestone Posts
The First Post
The Most Popular Post (Once Upon a Time)
The Midpoint (2013, 200 posts)
The Book Plan
The Most Popular Costume Commission (I am NOT sewing this again, but I am evaluating making my pattern available for sale)

Wednesday, October 5, 2016

Potholders in Whimsical Kitchen!

Okay coffee addicts, here's the potholder for you! I've got six of them for sale in the Whimsical Kitchen store, and if they sell well, I'll be adding more designs soon! Let me know what else you'd like me to offer in this line!

Tuesday, October 4, 2016

The Amazing Details of Historical Photographs - in COLOR!

A series of historical photographs from Ellis Island have been colorized, leading to a treasure trove of historical ethnic dress. The details in these pieces are amazing, as are the gorgeous colors!

Check out the whole collection at Buzzfeed.

Wednesday, September 28, 2016

Blue Floral Blouse

Chronic illness and perpetually scrambling to keep up with commissions kept this project on the shelf for two years. As I rebuild my strength, I've been tackling the 'small' projects, and finally took this fabric off to try and do something with it.

I actually don't mind that I had time to think about the design. When I originally bought this fabric on sale at, I was envisioning it as a comfy knit dress. However, like most white base fabrics, it was too thin for this to become a reality. I then played around with making a skirt out of it... but I kept seeing poofy sleeves. And that meant I needed to make a top with it.

Tuesday, September 27, 2016

"Beauty and the Beast" (No, not THAT version)

Emma Watson's "Beauty and the Beast" is not the only retelling of the tale to hit movie theaters in the next year. A French retelling of the story released to select theaters today. I won't have a chance to see it until it hits DVD, but the interview with the costumer is a fantastic read. I am definitely looking forwards to reviewing all of the costume when I get a chance to watch the film!

Friday, September 16, 2016

Autumn Tea Towels

I am having a pretty rough week health-wise, however I did manage to get the listings up for ALL of these towels in my Etsy shop! So if you're looking for some cute and functional fall decor for your kitchen, take a look!

And stay tuned... I have some more sewing posts coming up as my health allows!