Wednesday, February 26, 2014

Paisley Sundress - Part 1

If you've been following my projects for awhile, you may have noticed that I really like to sew things for my sister. Well, this year she happened to be away from home for two weeks over her birthday... just enough time for me to create a surprise dress as a birthday present!


I started off with a sketch to see if my idea would work visually. I'd already gotten the fabric, picked up on sale at JoAnn's.


I had her measurements on file from previous projects, so I set my dress form to her size and created a duct tape pattern.



I then transferred the duct tape pattern over to butcher paper and laid it out. I had three yards of fabric, which wasn't quite enough to lay the dress out with all the skirt panels in the same direction. Unfortunately the print was directional, so this was a bit frustrating. However I figured if I alternated them evenly, the busyness of the pattern would hide the flaw. And it did!


It's looking good!


I had just gotten my bias tape machine (Simplicity, on sale at JoAnn's) so I used it to create tape which I would use to...



...create the braid trim!


It's coming together! Check out part 2 and the finished product!

1 comment:

  1. duct tape pattern. You did so well. the dress is great and it's nice to know there is another use for duct tape.

    ReplyDelete

Welcome to the discussion! Please note that due to chronic illness, I am no longer taking commissions of any kind.

Thank you for being polite and profanity free :)