Monday, November 19, 2012

SPG Rabbit Vest - Part 2

(Haven't read part one yet? Check it out here!)


To make the eyelet holder for the back, I did double seams to create an even tab, then removed the outer seam to open the flap (illustrated on the eyelet picture further down).


Laying everything out roughly so I could get an idea of how it was all coming together.



It is always good to utilize fittings as much as possible, because no matter how precisely you make the pattern, the actual fabric can easily pull a bit differently. Here I needed to add a dart on the right shoulder to make it lay flat over the bust.


Adding the bias edging. (There isn't supposed to be any on the sleeves, I got tired and overworked and put it on there accidentally. Thankfully my client caught it before I sewed it down!)


Adding the button holes...


Here's the eyelets!


Voila! My friend Shannon modeling her amazing cosplay, including her phenomenal make-up work!



Yes, that's really make-up, and yes, she did it herself. Isn't she talented?

This project was a challenge, but a good one. My customers force me to keep honing my skills and gaining new ones, and for that I am very grateful.

Interested in commissioning a custom piece of your own? Check out my commissions page here!

7 comments:

Unknown said...

This looks incredible! I've been wanting to own a vest like Rabbit's for a long time! You did an amazing job! ^-^

Pascal said...

what type of material did you use for making this?
and where did you get the red buttons?

well done, best fan-made rabbit vest i think i've ever seen. :)

Elizabeth Amy Hajek said...

I used a costume satin, and I covered the buttons myself, as shown in part one of this tutorial.

Thank you! :)

Anonymous said...

i'm still very new to the sewing business. did you make two copies of everything? like, a layer for the inside and the outside? how did you piece them together?

Anonymous said...

oh, and another question i had was how did you connect the red trimming without showing seams? thank you!

Elizabeth Amy Hajek said...

Anon, I gave your questions a whole blog post! http://seamstressconfessions.blogspot.com/2013/04/things-beginners-want-to-know-part-1-or.html

Unknown said...

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU I could not find this any where else!