Tuesday, May 9, 2017

Emma Swan's Wedding Dress

Sorry it took me so long to get my reaction up. Okay, two days isn't really that long, but gauging by the spike in visits I've had over the past 24 hours, I have a feeling some people are hoping for my reaction to this big OUAT costume!


________________________


If for some reason you haven't caught up with "Once Upon a Time," you ought to skip this post as it will definitely spoil some big things for you.

________________________





First of all, I should note that I first saw the dress in Jennifer Morrison's Instagram post. I was surprised and a little bummed that they chose to release the dress image significantly ahead of the actual episode. Personally, I would have preferred to see it for the first time on screen.

That said, I wasn't that thrilled with the dress, so it's probably better that I got my disappointment out of the way ahead of time so that I could just enjoy the episode for what it was. (My full thoughts on the musical/wedding episode are up on my personal blog.)

I should clarify that I thought the dress itself was beautiful, and the headdress exquisite. According to this interview, they made the whole thing in just two weeks, which is amazing. (It's a good interview with lots of other wedding details. Check it out!) It's a gorgeous work of art and a beautiful (and intended) homage to Grace Kelly's famous wedding dress.


Photo: ABC, via ETOnline.com
However, I personally do not feel the dress worked for Emma's character at all. At the very, very least, I would have preferred to see her with her hair down. The combination of the tight hair pull and the high neckline made for an extremely severe look that I did not feel fit the tone of the episode at all. I understand the vintage look and homage they were going for, but it really did not seem to fit Emma's character at all for me. It's a pity, because it really is a gorgeous dress, and just letting a little hair down and nixing either the collar or the high buttoned look would have made all the difference.

Hook's ensemble was perfect, however. I didn't pick up that his jacket was velvet while watching the episode, but it's a great detail that I was delighted to discover while researching this piece.

While on the subject of wedding dresses, I did enjoy the brief awkward scene where Snow brings her old wedding dress to Emma. Honestly, it really would have been tremendous fun to see Emma wear her mom's dress, and I think it would have suited her, but I understand why the show wanted to give Emma her own signature piece for such a big day.

One more wedding detail I really loved--the fact that both Snow and Charming walked Emma down the aisle. Those of you who follow my personal blog may remember that I had both of my parents walk me down for my wedding, and it is a situation I am seeing more and more of these days. While it's not for everyone, it certainly made sense in this show, given the whole Charming family story, and I'm glad they went with it.

Read my full thoughts on the Musical Episode here, or more of my musings on OUAT costume choices here.


1 comment:

  1. I agree with you - Emma's wedding dress was such a disappointment!!! After 6 seasons, we've come to expect a certain level of couture-ness and originality with the costumes. This dress did not fit with Emma's style AT ALL when I first saw it on social media, so I was hoping/expecting there to be some storyline-based reason for the Princess Grace knock-off wedding dress (childhood dream, etc), but alas there was none. It feels like such a cheat and a cop-out!! Like they didn't want to try to figure out what it SHOULD be, and went with Princess Grace because Jen/Emma is blonde and kind of looks like her!!! Ugh!! Hook looked great though!

    ReplyDelete

Welcome to the discussion! Please note that due to chronic illness, I am no longer taking commissions of any kind.

Thank you for being polite and profanity free :)