Wednesday, May 4, 2016

A NEW PROJECT (At last)

After a month in the new house, I decided to see if I could manage to start and complete a simple project. My muscles are pretty much non-existant after nine months of being sick, and stress really screws everything up, so I decided to just try a low-frustration low-risk personal project to start building myself up to the point where I can finish my contracted commissions.

I had a lovely blue floral cotton with a gorgeous drape in my stash. I decided to make a simple sundress out of it.


I went for a very basic bodice. It was thick enough not to line, which was great and make it so much simpler (and cooler!) I ended up spending one day just fussing with the bodice fit, so I was really glad that I didn't have to adjust a lining layer as well.


(I lost a LOT of weight over the past year - almost 40lbs. The clothes that fit me now are all at least four or five years old, so it's really nice to have something new in my wardrobe that FITS).


I used binding on the neck and armholes, turning it towards the inside to create as little bulk as possible. It turned out quite nice!


Of course, I then I had to find an occasion to wear the dress - and I found two in the same week! I also found that my pink Eileen Fisher sweater I inherited from my grandmother works perfectly with it!


It was so wonderful to feel well enough to make AND wear my own creation, and feel like I looked great in it. I'm still struggling health-wise, but this was a pretty big event. Now waiting to see if I continue to improve, or if I suffer any set-backs with the changing seasons.


2 comments:

Unknown said...

oh, I'm sorry you haven't been well! I'm not overly familiar with your blog, but I've come over and over again to read your analysis of Padme Amidala's outfits from the Star Wars prequels. Every time I watch the prequels I come here haha. I have less than zero skill with a needle and thread,or machines or anything vaguely cloth related. (But her wardrobe was celestial, and I loved your wedding dress replica!)This dress here looks so fresh and yet classy. It still carries the summer vibe without the usual (somewhat tiring) pastels or "bold" color schemes. I can't believe you made it by hand after a 9 month break/ sick time. This is a true accomplishment!!! Go you!!!

Elizabeth Amy Hajek said...

Unknown - I don't know who you are, but I know your words really brightened up my morning! Thank you!