Monday, July 13, 2015

Walter Worker SPG Dress Part 2



This is where we left the dress at before.


The sleeves needed some further detail - mainly cuffs...


...and buttons! I got these buttons from Bennos Buttons, which is great for getting buttons in bulk.


Coming together!


Time to cut out the apron. I took the front panel pattern piece and made a few slight alterations, then used it to cut out the apron pieces.


The apron needed to hold its shape, so I decided to line it (unlike the rest of the dress, which I wanted to keep simple and cool) and also interface it with a featherweight interfacing.


But before attaching the apron, I needed to finish the other dress details, like sewing on sleeves and adding pockets. The original costume does not have pockets, but such things are in vogue with young ladies these days, and my client wanted them added. So I picked apart the side seams where I wanted the pocket openings to go.


I then cut and stitched simple pockets with a downwards slant and slipped them in.


I had to fiddle a little bit to figure out which right/wrong sides to match up in order to ensure that the seams would all be inside and the finished edges on the outside. Then I pinned and stitched each edge of each pocket down.


Inside out...


...right side in!


Even with ironing, the pocket still wanted to be pretty billowy. So I topstitched the upper edge of the pocket. It helped a LOT.


I then stitched the sides and upper edges of the apron, turned it right side out and pinned it onto the dress form to straighten the hem. Once cut, I pinned the hem edges up inside to conceal them.


I then topstitched all four edges of the apron, with the topstitching securing the hem in place.


Looking snazzy!

All I had to do was pin the apron in place...


...and use the buttons to hold it on! (There are no buttonholes, the buttons are decorative only, although their threads do hold the apron on).

Ready to see how my client turned it all into a full cosplay with AMAZING make-up? Check back in a few days for Part 3!



No comments: