Thursday, June 4, 2015

The Wardrobe of Nyssa al Ghul

"Arrow" is not typically a show that I find myself wanting to write costume analysis posts about, despite the fact that I really love what they've done with costuming on the show (except maybe Laural's Black Canary). However, after the finale of Season 3, I just had to do a little post adoring Nyssa al Ghul's costumes. (If you haven't see the finale yet, be warned that there ARE spoilers below.)

Retrieved from Pinterest

First off, let's talk about her regular combat wear. It is by far my favorite female costume on the show, and if I were ever going to cosplay a female character from "Arrow," it would probably be Nyssa in this costume. (Sara is my favorite character, but I wouldn't be comfortable wearing her Black Canary costume).

Retrieved from Pinterest

Granted, it doesn't always seem the most practical of fighting outfits, but it's on par with everything else the League of Assasins choose for fashion, so, eh. I just really love the layers, the textures, the hint of burgundy, and all of the triangular lines. 

From sheknows.com

Elegant and feminine, but deadly... and more about function than showing off assets. *cough*

From primetime.unrealitytv.co.uk

So I already loved her 'work clothes', but then we got this teal treat! Gorgeous and embellished, with that lovely sheer overtunic... it's regal and soft and the exact opposite of how Nyssa actually feels in this scene. 

From ew.com
 
I'm not an expert on Eastern dress. I'm not sure what Nyssa's ethnic heritage is supposed to be, and whether black is a traditional wedding color in that culture. From a western view, it's the color of mourning, which certainly seems appropriate for this particular ceremony.

From bha-paradox.tumblr.com
Despite the horribleness of the situation, I took the time to admire the wedding dress because it really rocked. But you probably already know how much I love shiny embellishments by now...

What stinks is that Nyssa's awesome wardrobe probably has little to do with her, as most of it was probably picked or strongly overseen by her dad. Ra's al Ghul has good taste in women's clothes... maybe he should have gone into fashion design instead of assassination. 

3 comments:

Kenzey'sKave said...

my very first cosplay I made was of Nyssa in her combat gear for Salt Lake Comic Con John Barrowman and Stephen Amell were both going to be there so I wanted to do something from the show. I had to make the pattern for the kimono thing I have pictures on my blog of in process and finished

Unknown said...

Would you be willing to make one for someone and how much would you charge? Nyssa Raatko, Nyssa al Ghul is my favorite character on the show and in comics. I have all of her fighting skills (former Military). It would be so bad ass to look like her too when I do Archery contests. Thank you for your time. Nyssa.al.Ghul@gmail.com

Unknown said...

I wanted to ask you if you would make them for another person? and, if so, How much. I have all her weapon skills (former Military), and it would be fun to dress up as her when I shoot my Archery Competitions. Thanks so much for your time. Smiles. Enjoy your day, love and light your way.